Resting beyond the southeast limits of Phoenix, Gilbert is a thriving community, home to about 300,000 residents. Since its post office’s inception in 1912, the city has grown immensely, providing endless fun and entertainment to locals and visitors, alike.
Here are some of the best things to do in downtown Gilbert AZ:
- Head to the Farmer’s Market. What more can you ask for from a weekend that fresh fruits and veggies? The Gilbert Farmers Market hosts between 60 and 100 vendors every Saturday. Food trucks keeps shoppers well-fed and delighted by new tastes as they shop for local meats, jams, pickles, and sauces. If the kids grow tired of food tasting, they can play giant Connect Four or Jenga.
- Eager to see a little water? Head to Freestone Park and bask in the sounds and scents of five acres of the lake area. Don’t be shy about bringing your fishing rod, the lake is well stocked. Around the lake, the family can enjoy volleyball, tennis, basketball, BBQ grills and activities in the three Ramadas. Check out the model railroad and take the kids on the mini Ferris wheel or carousel!
- Bird watching. Whether or not your group has a trained bird watchers, scoping out our feathered friends at the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch is a must. Saturdays are excellent for novice bird watchers- Friends of Audubon Arizona hosts a free family bird walk from 8am-11am.
- Learn about space at the Gilbert Rotary Centennial Observatory (GRCO) at the Riparian Reserve at Water Ranch. Check out space from the observatory’s 16-inch diameter Meade, modified Richey-Chretien telescope and feel free to ask the intelligent staff any questions you have about life beyond earth.
- Head downtown. Downtown Gilbert has a little something for everyone. Choose amongst a variety of exceptional cuisines (BBQ, Mexican, Italian…), cruise through the farmer’s market and check out live music that keeps the city center buzzing and bustling all year long.
- Try shooting. Right on Target Clay Guides of AZ offers fully equipped lesson packages that teach the entire family how to shoot clay pigeons. Whether group members are experienced or totally new to trap, there is an undeniable thrill in trying to perfectly time a shot to get the clay.
- Sit around incredible stage performers at Hale Centre Theatre. If you haven’t experienced a play from a 360-degree viewing arrangement, you want to check out a show at Hale. The performances are expertly produced and the theater offers kids’ plays, too.
- Eat up! New restaurants in downtown Gilbert are many. Come and visit Grubstak, but also check out who’s new in the neighborhood. As the city develops and attracts exquisite culinary talent, the restaurants continue to blow diners away with their menus and dining experiences.
- Gilbert Historical Museum. Check out artifacts and photographs that expose early Gilbert. The museum provides an interesting looking into Arizona’s role in WWII in a special military collection with famous autographs.
- Test your strategy capacity at The Phoenix Escape Room, an interactive group adventure game. Search for hidden objects and solve puzzles by interpreting clues. Go with a group you trust to be quick on their feet, imaginative and up for a serious challenge.
As we mentioned, there are so many wonderful ways to spend days and evenings in Gilbert. Whichever activities you choose for your entertainment, remember to visit one of the best restaurants downtown Gilbert, Grubstak, to keep your crew fed and having fun. Visit us on your way into town, mid-day, or on your way home. Big groups are always welcome and have something tasty for everyone on the menu. See you soon!